Dental emergencies can be sudden, unexpected, and even scary. By knowing or anticipating what to do during one, you can eliminate a lot of stress and anxiety.
Here's what you should do during common dental emergencies:
Severe Tooth Pain
- Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater.
- Relieve pain with an over-the-counter medication
- Apply a cold compress to help with swelling and pain
- Call Sky Valley Dental and Dr. Yunki Cho immediately so we can schedule an appointment
Injury to Your Tooth
Have you chipped or fractured your tooth? Has it been knocked-out? Here are some helpful tips:
- Rinse mouth with cold water
- If your tooth has been knocked out, keep the tooth's root from drying or getting dirty
- Apply clean gauze to stem bleeding
- Apply a cold compress to the injured site to help with pain and inflammation
- Call your local emergency dentist in Monroe, WA to schedule a same-day dental appointment
Have you badly bitten your lip or tongue?
- If the site is bleeding heavily, wash it gently and apply a cold compress for twenty minutes at a time
- If bleeding is constant and will not stop, you may need to head to the nearest emergency room.
Prevent Future Dental Emergencies
- If you play sports, invest in a mouthguard to keep your teeth safe from injury
- Do you grind your teeth at night? A nightguard can keep your teeth from cracking or chipping
- Brush and floss daily
- Maintain regular dental check-ups and exams
- Avoid sugary drinks or food
Schedule Your Next Dental Cleaning in Moroe
No matter how long it's been since your last dental cleaning, don't hesitate to contact your Monroe, WA dental office so we can pencil in your next appointment. While some dental emergencies can be unexpected and out of our control (like a car or sports accidents), a vast majority start as small oral health abnormalities and continue to grow untreated.
Diligent visits with your dentist can eliminate many future dental emergencies and keep your teeth and gums strong and healthy. If you have any questions or concerns about your oral health, pick up the phone, and give us a call!